The combined BS-MS program is intended for students who are interested in pursuing graduate studies at the master’s level or are considering a future Ph.D. program. The application process for the combined BS-MS program is highly competitive, with fewer than 30 students from UW and our partner institutions accepted each year. Admitted students generally must have a minimum 3.7 GPA.
Only students from the following schools are eligible for the BS-MS program:
- University of Washington, Seattle
- Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications
- National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University (formerly called National Chiao Tung University)
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Our application deadline is static and remains the same from year to year.
Deadline: July 15
Step One: Nominations
The nomination process is comprised of both nomination letters submitted by faculty and a nomination packet submitted by the student. Detailed instructions for each are provided below:
Students must request two faculty nominations from either the electrical engineering faculty at their home institution or faculty at the University of Washington. Faculty nomination letters should be submitted by the faculty members, separate from student nomination packets, to ensure confidentiality. We recommend that at least one letter of recommendation be from an electrical engineering faculty member.
How to Submit
- Please save nomination letters as a PDF.
- Submit a letter of recommendation through our website.
Students must submit an nomination packet of their own. Please prepare a single PDF that includes the following:
- PDF of unofficial transcript showing a cumulative 3.7 GPA and completion through junior year of an undergraduate degree in a STEM field (junior year denotes a student’s third year of study, or the completion of 135 quarter credits or 90 semester credits).
- Written statement of purpose, which includes a clear research direction for the student’s intended thesis or project direction, and indicates a preferred UW EE faculty adviser.
- TOEFL scores for non-native English speakers. More information.
- The GRE is not required for the nomination packet.
How to Submit
- Please save nomination packets as a PDF.
- Submit a nomination through our website.
Students will be notified via email regarding whether their nomination has been accepted. Students whose nominations are not accepted for the combined BS-MS program are still welcome to apply to our other graduate programs through the regular application process.
Step Two: Graduate School Application
Upon acceptance of the nomination, students must then submit an official application through the UW Graduate School.
An official notice of admission will be sent to students by the end of March.