The Combined BS-MS program is intended for students who are interested in pursuing graduate studies at the master’s level or are considering a future Ph.D. program. The application process for the Combined BS-MS program is competitive, with fewer than 25 students from UW and our partner institutions accepted each year. Admitted students generally must have a minimum 3.7 GPA.
Only students from the following schools are eligible for the Combined BS-MS program:
- University of Washington, Seattle
- Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications
- National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University (formerly called National Chiao Tung University)
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Our application deadline is static and remains the same from year to year.
Deadline: July 15
Step One: UW ECE Combined BS-MS Application
The UW ECE Combined BS-MS application process is comprised of nomination letters submitted by faculty and a nomination packet submitted by the student. Detailed instructions for each are provided below:
Students must request two faculty nominations from either the faculty at their home institution or faculty at the University of Washington. Faculty nomination letters should be submitted by the faculty members, separate from student nomination packets, to ensure confidentiality. We recommend that at least one letter of recommendation be from an Electrical and Computer Engineering faculty member.
How to Submit
- Please save nomination letters as a PDF.
- Submit a letter of recommendation through our website.
Students must submit a nomination packet of their own. Please prepare a single PDF that includes the following:
- PDF of unofficial transcript showing a cumulative 3.7 GPA and completion through junior year of an undergraduate degree in a STEM field (junior year denotes a student’s third year of study, or the completion of 135 quarter credits or 90 semester credits).
- Written statement of purpose, which includes a clear research direction for the student’s intended thesis or project direction, and indicates a preferred UW ECE faculty adviser.
- TOEFL scores for non-native English speakers. More information.
- The GRE is not required for the nomination packet.
How to Submit
- Please save nomination packets as a PDF.
- Submit a nomination through our website.
Students will be notified via email regarding whether their nomination has been accepted. Notice of decisions are emailed by early September. Students whose nominations are not accepted for the combined BS-MS program are still welcome to apply to our other graduate programs through the regular application process.
Step Two: UW Graduate School Application
Upon acceptance of the nomination, students must then submit an official application through the UW Graduate School.
Deadline: December 15
An official notice of admission will be sent to students by the end of March.