This prestigious award from The Marconi Society acknowledges Iyer's innovative work developing bio-inspired and bio-integrative wireless sensor systems.
Power and Energy Systems research at UW ECE includes interdisciplinary work at all energy scales, ranging from nanowatts to gigawatts. Our faculty are active in smart grid, integration of renewable energy sources, grid security, energy economics, and solar and electromagnetic energy harvesting. ECE faculty are leaders in the Clean Energy Institute and work with local utilities and grid systems operators.
Photovoltaics and Energy Harvesting
UW ECE Assistant Professor Brian Johnson was recently featured in IEEE Spectrum's article on how the coronavirus has disrupted fieldwork and lab experiments at various institutions across the country.
Shana Moothedath and Yuanyuan Shi have accepted tenure-track assistant professorship positions in the ECE departments of Iowa State University and the University of California San Diego starting in 2021.
UW ECE Assistant Professor Baosen Zhang and ECE alums Andrew Clark and Subhanshu Gupta all won a 2020 National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER award.
Smith was named a Fellow of the IEEE in recognition of his contributions to far‐ and near‐field wireless power, backscatter communication and electric field sensing.
Brian Johnson and his team will be using the grant to support their project "A Scalable Control Architecture for 100% PV Penetration with Grid Forming Inverters".
- Brian Johnson
- Baosen Zhang
- Scott T. Dunham
- Alex Mamishev
- Joshua R. Smith
- Richard D. Christie
- Daniel Kirschen
- Intelligent Systems Lab
- Brian Johnson lab
- Renewable Energy Analysis (REAL) Lab
- Nanotechnology Modeling Laboratory
- Sensor Systems Lab
- Sensors, Energy, and Automation Laboratory (SEAL)
- Decentralized interleaving of parallel-connected buck converters
- A multilevel DC to three-phase AC architecture for photovoltaic power plants
- Using Battery Storage for Peak Shaving and Frequency Regulation: Joint Optimization for Superlinear Gains
- Model-Free Renewable Scenario Generation Using Generative Adversarial Networks
- Real-Time Prediction of the Duration of Distribution System Outages
- Sharing Energy Storage Between Transmission and Distribution