Brian Johnson and his team will be using the grant to support their project "A Scalable Control Architecture for 100% PV Penetration with Grid Forming Inverters".
Power and energy systems research at UW ECE includes interdisciplinary work at all energy scales, ranging from nanowatts to gigawatts. Our faculty are active in smart grid, integration of renewable energy sources, grid security, energy economics, and solar and electromagnetic energy harvesting. ECE faculty are leaders in the Clean Energy Institute and work with local utilities and grid systems operators.
Photovoltaics and Energy Harvesting
Zhang discussed Artificial Intelligence for Energy Grid Optimization at event hosted by Dept. of Energy Rick Perry.
The multi-institutional team includes UW ECE professor Daniel Kirschen
What does the future of smart energy systems look like? UW EE power and energy experts hosted colleagues from Tsinghua University for a symposium to explore the challenges and possibilities.
UW EE hosted its first annual Research Review Day. Industry partners joined University of Washington faculty and students to discuss top research in the field of electrical engineering.
This prestigious award is awarded to the highest-achieving electrical engineering students, with a focus in the power and energy sector, across the U.S.
- Brian Johnson
- Baosen Zhang
- Scott T. Dunham
- Alex Mamishev
- Joshua R. Smith
- Richard D. Christie
- Daniel Kirschen
- Intelligent Systems Lab
- Brian Johnson lab
- Renewable Energy Analysis (REAL) Lab
- Nanotechnology Modeling Laboratory
- Sensor Systems Lab
- Sensors, Energy, and Automation Laboratory (SEAL)
- Decentralized interleaving of parallel-connected buck converters
- A multilevel DC to three-phase AC architecture for photovoltaic power plants
- Using Battery Storage for Peak Shaving and Frequency Regulation: Joint Optimization for Superlinear Gains
- Model-Free Renewable Scenario Generation Using Generative Adversarial Networks
- Real-Time Prediction of the Duration of Distribution System Outages
- Sharing Energy Storage Between Transmission and Distribution