This fall, UW ECE will begin offering a Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering (BSECE). The new degree program provides students with increased flexibility and is highly adaptable to advances in technology.
Power and Energy Systems research at UW ECE includes interdisciplinary work at all energy scales, ranging from nanowatts to gigawatts. Our faculty are active in smart grid, integration of renewable energy sources, grid security, energy economics, and solar and electromagnetic energy harvesting. UW ECE faculty are leaders in the Clean Energy Institute and work with local utilities and grid systems operators.
Photovoltaics and Energy Harvesting
After founding Northwest Indian College’s first engineering program, Stephanie Bostwick aims to bring clean energy to her classroom — and to the Lummi Nation.
UW ECE teams won top prizes in the 2022 GIX Innovation Competition and Hollomon Health Innovation Challenge for their work on a low-energy laundry technology and phone LiDAR scanning for custom fitted, low-cost ostomy wafers.
Read this year's issue of The Integrator — UW ECE's flagship, annual magazine highlighting the Department's extraordinary faculty research, student achievements, alumni stories, special events and more!
UW ECE and CSE Professor Joshua R. Smith was elected into the 2021 class of Fellows of the National Academy of Inventors for his impactful creations in the fields of wireless power, communication, sensing and robotics.
What causes a research publication to become highly cited and stand the test of time? We asked UW ECE faculty to help shed some light on this intriguing question.
- Brian Johnson
- Baosen Zhang
- Scott T. Dunham
- Alex Mamishev
- Joshua R. Smith
- Richard D. Christie
- Daniel Kirschen
- Intelligent Systems Lab
- Brian Johnson lab
- Renewable Energy Analysis (REAL) Lab
- Nanotechnology Modeling Laboratory
- Sensor Systems Lab
- Sensors, Energy, and Automation Laboratory (SEAL)
- Decentralized interleaving of parallel-connected buck converters
- A multilevel DC to three-phase AC architecture for photovoltaic power plants
- Using Battery Storage for Peak Shaving and Frequency Regulation: Joint Optimization for Superlinear Gains
- Model-Free Renewable Scenario Generation Using Generative Adversarial Networks
- Real-Time Prediction of the Duration of Distribution System Outages
- Sharing Energy Storage Between Transmission and Distribution