A team of multiple organizations, including the UW and UW ECE spinout Wibotic, plans to develop a line of lightweight, ultrafast wireless chargers that could help both humans and robots live and work on the moon.
Power and Energy Systems research at UW ECE includes interdisciplinary work at all energy scales, ranging from nanowatts to gigawatts. Our faculty are active in smart grid, integration of renewable energy sources, grid security, energy economics, and solar and electromagnetic energy harvesting. ECE faculty are leaders in the Clean Energy Institute and work with local utilities and grid systems operators.
Photovoltaics and Energy Harvesting
Researchers at Microsoft and the University of Washington, including UW ECE professor Baosen Zhang, propose an AI system that uses smartphone location data to forecast electrical load.
Kapetanovic received the grant for her doctoral thesis research on “Low-Power Communication for Environmental Sensing Systems.” She is one of just 10 PhD students at academic institutions throughout North America to win this year's award.
This prestigious award from The Marconi Society acknowledges Iyer's innovative work developing bio-inspired and bio-integrative wireless sensor systems.
UW ECE Assistant Professor Brian Johnson was recently featured in IEEE Spectrum's article on how the coronavirus has disrupted fieldwork and lab experiments at various institutions across the country.
Shana Moothedath and Yuanyuan Shi have accepted tenure-track assistant professorship positions in the ECE departments of Iowa State University and the University of California San Diego starting in 2021.
- Brian Johnson
- Baosen Zhang
- Scott T. Dunham
- Alex Mamishev
- Joshua R. Smith
- Richard D. Christie
- Daniel Kirschen
- Intelligent Systems Lab
- Brian Johnson lab
- Renewable Energy Analysis (REAL) Lab
- Nanotechnology Modeling Laboratory
- Sensor Systems Lab
- Sensors, Energy, and Automation Laboratory (SEAL)
- Decentralized interleaving of parallel-connected buck converters
- A multilevel DC to three-phase AC architecture for photovoltaic power plants
- Using Battery Storage for Peak Shaving and Frequency Regulation: Joint Optimization for Superlinear Gains
- Model-Free Renewable Scenario Generation Using Generative Adversarial Networks
- Real-Time Prediction of the Duration of Distribution System Outages
- Sharing Energy Storage Between Transmission and Distribution