The multi-institutional team includes UW ECE professor Daniel Kirschen
Power and energy systems research at UW ECE includes interdisciplinary work at all energy scales, ranging from nanowatts to gigawatts. Our faculty are active in smart grid, integration of renewable energy sources, grid security, energy economics, and solar and electromagnetic energy harvesting. ECE faculty are leaders in the Clean Energy Institute and work with local utilities and grid systems operators.
Photovoltaics and Energy Harvesting
What does the future of smart energy systems look like? UW EE power and energy experts hosted colleagues from Tsinghua University for a symposium to explore the challenges and possibilities.
UW EE hosted its first annual Research Review Day. Industry partners joined University of Washington faculty and students to discuss top research in the field of electrical engineering.
This prestigious award is awarded to the highest-achieving electrical engineering students, with a focus in the power and energy sector, across the U.S.
The new professorship was established through a generous gift from UW EE alum Milton Zeutschel (BSEE '60) and his wife Delia Zeutschel (BA '58) to recruit and retain entrepreneurially-driven faculty.
The Institute for Nano-Engineered Systems (NanoEs) will pursue impactful advancements in a variety of disciplines — including energy, materials science, computation and medicine. It is housed in a new, multimillion-dollar facility on the UW’s Seattle campus and led by UW EE Professor Karl Böhringer.
- Brian Johnson
- Baosen Zhang
- Scott T. Dunham
- Alex Mamishev
- Joshua R. Smith
- Richard D. Christie
- Daniel Kirschen
- Intelligent Systems Lab
- Brian Johnson lab
- Renewable Energy Analysis (REAL) Lab
- Nanotechnology Modeling Laboratory
- Sensor Systems Lab
- Sensors, Energy, and Automation Laboratory (SEAL)
- On-Line Efficiency Optimization of a Variable Frequency Induction Motor Drive
- Toward Cost-Efficient and Reliable Unit Commitment under Uncertainty
- Ensuring Profitability of Energy Storage
- Reliability Standards for the Operation and Planning of Future Electricity Networks
- Stochastic Energy Storage Siting and Sizing: A WECC Case Study
- Look-Ahead Bidding Strategy for Energy Storage