We congratulate and offer our deepest gratitude to UW ECE Professors Howard Chizeck, Bruce Darling, Yasuo Kuga and Ming-Ting Sun, recent retirees who have left an impactful legacy of service.
UW’s Robotics and Controls researchers are leaders in the areas of surgical and bio-robotics, haptics, smart cities, and network control systems. They collaborate with and hold secondary appointments in computer science and engineering, bioengineering, and the UW Medical Center, and are active participants in research centers such as the Center for Sensorimotor Neural Engineering.
Surgical and Bio-Robotics:
Network Control Systems:
This fall, UW ECE will begin offering a Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering (BSECE). The new degree program provides students with increased flexibility and is highly adaptable to advances in technology.
UW ECE adjunct associate professor Shyam Gollakota and his students, recent graduates Vikram Iyer and Hans Gaensbauer, led a team that has developed a tiny sensor-carrying device that can be blown by the wind as it tumbles toward the ground.
Professor Joshua Smith is the inaugural director of the new UW + Amazon Science Hub, which will advance innovation in core robotics, AI technologies and their applications.
UW ECE congratulates recent graduate James Rosenthal, who was named as the 2021 Yang Research Award recipient for his work developing neurotechnology.
UW ECE Professor Maryam Fazel, who leads the Institute for Foundations of Data Science, provides an overview of the Institute and how it is tackling some of the most difficult challenges data science faces today.
- Stan Birchfield
- Baosen Zhang
- Lillian Ratliff
- Georg Seelig
- Eli Shlizerman
- Alex Mamishev
- Matt Reynolds
- Linda Bushnell
- Eric Klavins
- Blake Hannaford
- Maryam Fazel
- Howard Jay Chizeck
- Samuel Burden
- Intelligent Systems Lab
- Data-Driven Dynamical Systems
- Networked Control Systems Laboratory
- Seelig lab for synthetic biology
- BioRobotics Laboratory
- Hysteresis Model of Longitudinally Loaded Cable for Cable Driven Robots and Identification of the Parameters
- Unscented Kalman Filter and 3D Vision to Improve Cable Driven Surgical Robot Joint Angle Estimation
- Utilizing Elasticity of Cable Driven Surgical Robot to Estimate Cable Tension and External Force
- Debate on the cost of innovation in healthcare: is it too costly?
- Improving Control Precision and Motion Adaptiveness for Surgical Robot with Recurrent Neural Network