Miguel A. Ortega-Vazquez received his B.Sc. (Hons) degree in electrical engineering from the Instituto Tecnológico de Morelia, Mexico, in 1999 and his M.Sc. degree from the Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, Nuevo León, Mexico, in 2001. In 2006 he received his Ph.D. from The University of Manchester (formerly UMIST). All his degrees have an emphasis in power systems.
Professor Ortega-Vazquez was a postdoctoral scholar at the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Manchester, until 2010, and assistant professor at the Department of Energy and Environment, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden, until 2011. In 2012 he joined UW EE as a research assistant professor; in 2013 he was appointed as an assistant professor. His current research interests include power system security, power system economics, integration of renewable energy sources and the smart grid.
Professor Ortega-Vazquez is an editor of the IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
Smart grids, power system security, power system economics.
- Power System Flexibility
- Interdependencies of Energy Carriers for Optimal Power System Operation
- Assessment and Enhancement of Smart Building's Flexibility and Responsiveness
- Architectural and Algorithmic Solutions for Large-Scale PEV Integration into Power Grids
- Transactive Campus Energy Systems: An R&D Testbed for Renewables Integration, Efficiency, and Grid Services
- M. A. Ortega-Vazquez, "Optimal Scheduling of Electric Vehicle Charging and Vehicle-to-Grid Services at Household Level Including Battery Degradation and Price Uncertainty", IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol.8 , Issue 6, pp. 1007-1016, Jun. 2014.
- Y. Dvorkin, H. Pandzic, M. A. Ortega-Vazquez and D. S. Kirschen, "A Hybrid Stochastic/Interval Approach to Transmission-Constrained Unit Commitment", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 30, Issue 2, pp. 621-631, Mar. 2015.
- M. R. Sarker, H. Pandzic and M. A. Ortega-Vazquez, "Optimal Operation and Services Scheduling for an Electric Vehicle Battery Swapping Station," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 30, Issue 2, pp. 901-910, Mar. 2015.
- M. R. Sarker, Y. Dvorkin and M. A. Ortega-Vazquez, "Optimal Participation of an Electric Vehicle Aggregator in Day-Ahead Energy and Reserve Markets", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems
- M. R. Sarker, M. A. Ortega-Vazquez and D. S. Kirschen, "Optimal Coordination and Scheduling of Demand Response via Monetary Incentives," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 6, Issue 3, pp. 1341-1352, May 2015.
- Y. Dvorkin, M. A. Ortega-Vazquez and D. S. Kirschen, "Wind Generation as a Reserve Provider", IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 9, Issue 8, pp. 779-787, 2015.
Web PageClick Here
MailCampus Box 352500
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, 2006
The University of Manchester (formerly UMIST), UK
M.Sc. Electrical Engineering, 2001
Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, Mexico
B.Sc. (Hons), Electrical Engineering, 1999
Instituto Tecnológico de Morelia, Mexico