Skip to main content

Non-Degree Options

You may enroll in UW ECE classes on a non-degree (also called non-matriculated) basis as an undergraduate or a graduate student. The processes and requirements are very different between undergraduate and graduate non-matriculated status, so review this page carefully.

Undergraduate Non-Matriculated

The process for becoming an undergraduate non-matriculated student requires a few simple registration forms. You do not need to submit transcripts, grades or test scores. We strongly recommend you submit forms prior to the first day of the quarter. You may complete registration after the quarter begins, although you will owe a late fee. You should also attend the first day of class so you do not miss any material.

Registration for autumn, winter and spring quarters is different from summer quarter, as detailed below.

Registration – Autumn, Winter and Spring

Registration for autumn, winter and spring quarters is through UW Continuum College.


Follow the process on the Register as a NM Student page on the UW Non-Degree Enrollment website. You will need to complete two forms and submit tuition payment prior to the first day of the quarter to avoid paying late fees.


Autumn quarter

  • Registration period begins: August
  • Classes begin and $25 late fee is assessed: September (See UW Academic Calendar)
  • Last day to register for classes: October

For more information, see the Key Dates page on the Non-Degree Enrollment site.

Cost information is available on the Tuition & Fees page of the UW Non-Degree Enrollment website.  

Registration – Summer

Registration for summer quarter is through the UW’s Registration Office.


Follow the process on the Summer Quarter Web site.


Summer quarter

  • Register online: Through May
  • Register by mail or in person: Beginning June
  • Classes begin: June (Full term and A term) or July (B term)

Graduate Non-Matriculated
Students interested in graduate non-matriculated status must apply through the UW Graduate School. You must have an undergraduate degree in Electrical & Computer Engineering or the equivalent. If you have questions about applying to UW ECE as a graduate non-matriculated student, contact the UW ECE Advising Office at or 206-543-2142.

Registration Dates

For more information on specific registration dates, review the UW’s Non-Degree Enrollment page.

Registration Process

The online application requires completing the UW Graduate School’s electronic application.  In the application you’ll have the option to select either the daytime or evening option for graduate non-matriculated.

The electronic application entails submitting the following materials:

  • Undergraduate and Graduate Transcripts: Scan and upload an electronic copy of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended via the online application system. Do not mail transcripts; official transcripts will not be accepted.
  • Statement of Purpose: A one-page summary of your academic background and the reason for requesting graduate non-matriculated status in Electrical & Computer Engineering. Include a list of EE courses intended to be applied toward an MSEE. You may apply a maximum of 12 credits toward a UW ECE master’s degree.
  • Resume or Curriculum Vitae
  • Graduate School Application Fee of $75